Keep Your Pet Safe: Observe Pet Poison Prevention Month in March
We love our pets and want them around us at all times, but many things that are safe for people are dangerous for our pets. Plus, some of the things that are safe for dogs are not okay to have in a cat’s home and vice-versa. When you bring home a new pet, it’s important that they have a safe environment (inside your home and out) where they can explore and be safe — no matter what sort of curious trouble they get into.
In observation of Pet Poison Prevention Month in March, we like to spread awareness about the kinds of everyday items found in our homes that put cats and dogs in danger to help you create a safer environment for your furry family members.
Create a Safe Indoor and Outdoor Environment for Your Pets
The following are some of the most common culprits in pet poisoning cases, but the list of poisonous substances for cats and dogs is incredibly long. For a complete list of poisonous foods, plants, and other household items, visit the ASPCA Animal Poison Control website.
Common Things Found Around the House That Are Poisonous for Dogs
- Baker’s dark chocolate
- Xylitol (Artificial sweetener found in many candies, gums, toothpaste, sugar-free products, and even peanut butter!)
- Pest poisons
- Nutritional supplements (vitamin D3, iron, and more)
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.) Pain medication Tylenol
- Prescription heart medications
- Allergy and cold medications
- Grapes and raisins can be toxic
Common Things Found Around the House That Are Poisonous To Cats
- Lilies, Poinsettia, and other household plants
- Some parasite preventatives for dogs (Hartz, etc.)
- Household cleaners
- Glow sticks
- ADD/ADHD medications
- Flu and cold medications
- Onions and garlic
- Essential oils
Signs of Pet Poisoning
Different poisonous substances can cause different reactions in pets, but some of the most common signs of poisoning include the following:
- Vomiting (might be bloody)
- Elevated heart rate
- Pale gums
- Lethargy, weakness, or lack of coordination
- Appetite loss
- Frequent urination or cessation of urination
- Excessive thirst
If you notice any unusual behavior in your pet or suspect they might have ingested a poisonous substance, take action immediately.
What to Do If Your Pet Ingests a Poisonous Substance
If you suspect or know that your pet has ingested a poisonous substance, it’s important to get help right away. Contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (a fee might apply) at (888)426-4435. Be ready to explain what substance your pet ingested and describe your pet’s symptoms. Get your pet emergency medical treatment as soon as possible.
For more information about pet poisons and what to do in a pet emergency, contact Eastwaye Veterinary Clinic.